by Bernie Fallon
At the school for homeless children where I tutor, here is a short exchange between a 6th grade boy and me. You never know what sensitive feelings are going on. So, throughout the day, I try to smile, be supportive and helpful at all times.
This kid had a smile with every question he asked me.
- 6th Grader: Will you remember me tomorrow?
- Me: Yes! I will.
- 6th Grader: Will you remember me next week?
- Me: Yes!
- 6th Grader: Will you remember me in one year?
- Me: I sure will!
- 6th Grader: Knock Knock
- Me: Who’s there?
- 6th Grader (smiling brightly): I thought you said you would remember me!
- Me: (laughing) You totally caught off guard. Wow.
Haha. Great job. He got me and I laughed!